Sometime ago I came across an article that explained how William Carey–the Father of the Modern Mission Movement–laid the ground work for revival in India. Although his covenant for revival is over two hundred years ago, yet the principles are fresh and relevant for the church in America.
1. Set an infinite value on men’s souls.
2. Acquaint ourselves with the snares which hold the minds of the people.
3. Abstain from whatever deepens people’s prejudice against the gospel.
4. Watch for every chance of doing the people good.
5. Preach “Christ crucified” as the grand means of conversion.
6. Esteem and treat people always as our equals.
7. Guard and build up ‘The hosts that may be gathered.”
8. Cultivate their spiritual gifts, every pressing upon them their missionary obligation.
9. Labor unceasingly in biblical translation. (editor’s note, this was Carey’s lifelong calling)
10. Be instant in the nature of personal religion.
11. Give ourselves without reserve to the Cause, “not counting even the clothes we wear our own.”